Soobum Im-USA TODAY Sports
Portland Trail Blazers wing Norman Powell will be testing the free agent waters this offseason after stating that he will turn down his player option.
“Portland Trail Blazers guard Norman Powell told Yahoo Sports that he will decline his player option for the 2021-22 season and become an unrestricted free agent Aug. 1,” wrote Chris Haynes.
The Blazers acquired the 28-year-old small forward from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for Gary Trent Jr. and Rodney Hood. They were hoping that Powell could provide the team with an additional offensive option to complement stars Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum.
Powell started Portland’s last 27 regular season games, averaging 17.0 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game over that stretch.
He sustained his scoring production in the playoffs. However, the Blazers lost to the Denver Nuggets in six games.
The player option the six-year veteran declined would have been worth $11.6 million. He is expected to command a multi-year deal with an annual salary that is higher than that.
While the Blazers would likely want to re-sign Powell, they could have plenty of competition for his services.
An anonymous Hall of Famer allegedly told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith that if Golden State…
Earlier on in the year, long before the Memphis Grizzlies dismissed Taylor Jenkins after he…
Guard Ja Morant suited up for the first time since the Memphis Grizzlies fired Taylor…
Oklahoma City Thunder star Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has a compelling case to win this season's MVP…
Big man Clint Capela is in his fifth season playing for the Atlanta Hawks, and…
ESPN's Stephen A. Smith claimed on Wednesday that if his confrontation with Los Angeles Lakers…