Former NBA guard Nate Robinson will be fighting YouTube star Jake Paul on the undercard of an eight-round exhibition match between boxing legends Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr.
Robinson and Paul both gave their own statements on the fight to The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
“I wanted to show that I’m a world class athlete,” said Robinson. “I played college football, played in the NBA for 11 years, and I’m excited for this venture into the sport of boxing. Jake Paul, I want all the smoke.”
“I am excited to partner with Triller and get in the ring to fight an elite athlete,” said Paul. “But make no mistake, on September 12th, Nate will meet the canvas early.”
Robinson will be making his professional boxing debut while this will be Paul’s second professional fight, as he defeated fellow YouTuber AnEsonGib earlier this year.
The 36-year-old Robinson last played in the NBA during the 2015-16 season, appearing in two games for the New Orleans Pelicans. Throughout his NBA career he averaged 11.0 points, 2.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game.
Robinson is also a three-time winner of the NBA’s Slam Dunk Contest, having won the event in 2006, 2009 and 2010.
The fight is scheduled to take place on Sept. 12 in Carson, Calif.